Marvel attractions confirmed in 10 year Disneyland Paris investment plan

Thursday, 30th March 2017 at 17:54

Marvel attractions coming to Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris

Disneyland Paris is looking to invest €2.1 billion in new and upgraded facilities across the resort over the next ten years — including Marvel attractions at Walt Disney Studios Park, a Shareholders Meeting document confirms.

Setting out anticipated capital expenditures for the next ten years, as part of The Walt Disney Company’s cash offer for remaining shares, Euro Disney S.C.A. reveals a 10 year programme totalling €2.1 billion.

Marvel attractions coming to Walt Disney Studios Park at Disneyland Paris

The most eye-catching statement, however, is the confirmation that Marvel attractions are indeed headed to Walt Disney Studios Park — and that’s Marvel attractions, plural. In fact, the English language document uses the term “A&E”, presumably meaning attractions and entertainment.

This confirmation comes just a day after CinéMagique closed at the park, with rumours pointing towards the plot housing a Marvel superheroes-themed indoor stunt show.

Previous rumours going back five years or more have suggested the whole of Backlot at the second park could be transformed into a Marvel land — Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith was pinpointed for a Spider-Man retheme.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT! at Disney California Adventure Hong Kong Disneyland multi-year expansion project
Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT! at Disney California Adventure and Hong Kong Disneyland’s future Marvel Superheroes Tomorrowland

Meanwhile, if CinéMagique does play host to a new Marvel entertainment production, this surely (and sadly) makes California’s permanent Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT! transformation that much more likely to take over The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror at our park, too.

Hong Kong Disneyland is also developing its own Marvel attractions, to be opened between now and 2023, which could provide a source of further crossovers.

Although €2.1 billion is a huge figure — and roughly twice the cost of the $1.1 billion Disney California Adventure park overhaul — spreading it over ten years gives an annual investment of around €210 million. This is higher than some of the resort’s darker years, but not actually too much of a “big bang” investment.

The figure also includes all other ongoing and upcoming refurbishments, including the major renovations of Disney’s Hotel New York and Disneyland Hotel, expected to happen from 2018. Refitting that number of rooms doesn’t come cheap.

Of course, this is also only the current Disneyland Paris operating group’s anticipated investment schedule — if The Walt Disney Company succeed in their share buyout and become the sole, 100% owner, they could decide it needs much more, much faster.

• Find all the documents related to the “Simplified Cash Tender Offer” here.

Thanks to @jorisvandael for the tip.

Never miss Disneyland Paris news: Follow on TwitterLike on Facebook

Book your Disneyland Paris 25th Anniversary trip at disneylandparis.com

NEW!

Don't miss the next Disneyland Paris update — Enter your email address to receive notification of new posts by email.

Comments

• Bye bye DLP. I have no interest in Star Wars or Marvel and with the high costs I’ll be going elsewhere after my visit this year.

• Glad I could be of service :) I feel no affinity to Star Wars or Marvel or whatever, so I feel like I’m slowly saying goodbye to DLP. I do however realize that this is my personal opinion, and if this is the future of the Parks, they should go for it.

• Richard Hulland  30th March 2017, 22:01

if they want to get rid of the english language in attractions such as Star Tours it looks like a lot more english guests will abandon Disneyland Paris for WDW.

• Looking forward to these new attractions, sad to see the old stuff go, but got to keep moving with the times. My son might want to go to DLP once it’s all built, tho 10 years time he will be 17!!

• Daniel Hartley  31st March 2017, 10:51

I am totally fine with a franchise such as marvel being (Key Word) added to the second park. Especially if only contained to that section of Armageddon, the Aerosmith ride and maybe motors action. Just as long as they stay there or expand behind motors action and add a scene to a section of the tram tour that is currently just trees on that end.

I personally have no interest in marvel or star wars apart from Deadpool and I understand that star wars is popular and such but I hate it when they just focus on one thing because it brings in the dough. It’s not very “magical” to do so.

• I would like so see some Marvel attractions in the Studios park, but I am sad to see Cinemagic close. I’m glad I got to see it again when I went last September. Now the Armageddon attraction, that can be replaced. I am also glad that we will still have TOT in Orlando and Tokyo (for now).

• Andrea I’m not sure why u would stop going to Disneyland just because of marvel/Star Wars attractions. There’s still plenty there that won’t involve these brands. Now the high costs I agree are an issue.

• We love the marvel/ Star Wars stuff, but we’ve done everything in the parks already. A new attraction or 2 isn’t enough to justify the rising prices in my mind.

Though to be fair, I understand they’ve been losing money for years and it would be a shame to see it go under. At least we got to see the last screening of cinemagique before it closed. They even gave us a special commemorative ticket for it.

It’s just in total we spent almost £1500 for a week there without spending money. The new price hikes would make that in excess of £2000. Why bother when you could have a week in Florida for £3000?

• noooooooooooo  13th April 2017, 20:56

Whatever they do, I will not allow them to take Rock N Rollercoaster nor the Tower of Terror away from me! NEVER!

• I dont want to see brakeout replacing tower of terror from california.

• Are these people crazy? Do they think europeans are stupid? Rethemes are of no interest to me at all! Just slap a picture Of spiderman on it and bam, they will come in their droves. And pretending that the studios park is getting more money and attention than the california adventure park got.. ???? All you have to do is look at the california adventure park on youtube vs wds Paris. The difference in quality and size is huge. Get real Disney, the wds Park needs a TOTAL overhaul and expansion if your going to put it in the same bracket as california adventure. You can change as many hotel beds as and paint as much as you like, but if the resort is not given the same love and attention as other parks well its going under. Your only delaying the inevitable. Your new AP tickets are a rip off btw and to use the excuse as that’s what the US parks are paying its proof that your taking European customer’s as idiots.
    US parks are getting new lands with Avatar and star wars, total overhauls, Attractions like cars land etc, Paris gets new hotel beds and rethemes with paint jobs here and there but no matter what way you butter it up is the same bloody park just cleaned up.
    They have spent months “upgrading” star tours to what the US parks have years now and tbh all it is a old tech simulator ride that you’d find in your local arcade Centre, fair enough not the theming but the ride itself is well outdated tech wise.
    If you want us to pay higher prices like “US” Parks well then give us “US” Park attractions and quality.
    Ill think about paying 2000 euros for my family APs when the wds studio park is on par with california adventure and don’t look like a car park no more.

• Joshua Rumsey  28th May 2017, 14:44

Disney won’t take away Tower Of Terror, as they are trying to make the towers varied. So each one is different in its own way. They mostly care about how different the experience is. Like how WDW tot and DLRP’s tot they are different on how they look and how WDW’s version moves.

• Anthony Price  30th May 2017, 13:44

Why are people so against change? I could maybe understand it if they were doing it in the Disneyland Park because that should always remain “pure” Disney. The studio park however, has so much potential and is in desperate need of investment, particularly that area of the park. I for one am very excited for this.

• Renate Pedersen  16th July 2017, 21:59

What they should do is refurbish pirates of the caribbean. Just came from disneyland shanghai and that pirates ride was INSANELY cool. The original pirates ride is a joke compared.

• You cannot possibly be serious – that Shanghai ride does not even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as PotC. Insanely cool? Maybe, but PotC is arguably the best theme park attraction ever – it´s so much more than “insanely cool”…

• Gregory Pauwels  10th August 2017, 17:39

Sad to see cinemagique go. Armaggedon and the studio tram tours would be my first choice for change.

I really hope that these new or overhauled attractions will still have a lets-have-a-look-behind-the-magic-of-filmmaking vibe and not just attractions for the sake of attractions (e.g. ratatouille the ride).

I agree with the other comments that if DLP drives up the prices for their AP’s, they need to bring new attractions and not just paint over or retheme current attractions.

When I go to disneyland I want to feel the magic vibe that disney brings. I sincerely hope this wont’ be lost in favor of a marvel/star wars themed park that used to be disney.

• Now DLP is 100% owned by the Walt Disney Corporation. DLP fans will have to get used to popular and beloved attractions being changed. This is just how Disney does things. They tend to be very true to Walt’s vision and if you study the history you will see that the parks are supposed to be ever evolving and changing to stay relevant. Very few attractions are every intended to be permanent and most will change in some shape or form. At DLP we weren’t used to that in the past, however now its in full control of its parent company it will fall more in to line with the model of the American resorts. Trust me in the end you will love it, as DLP will finally realise the potential that in the past it has never quite achieved. But progress comes at a price ;)

• So they ARE replacing Tower of Terror? I’m devastated…

• Changing TOT probably takes away my last remaining reason to visit the Studios Park, we’ve stopped buying AP’s now and we’ve been going to DLP since 1992. Going this week for our 60th visit, it’ll probably be our last.

+-Write a comment...

Note: Comments are moderated but will appear immediately if you have a previous approved comment on DLP Today (identified by your email address).

Disneyland Paris 25th Anniversary